Finally got myself sorted and took some pictures today. A few for the project first. I sourced some red shoes that I want use for the project and made a small black background with some card and used my new flashgun, that I can use off camera. Although I’m only showing 4 of the ones I took, my initial issue was shadows being cast by the flash which was angled, but I also had a small LED to the right to provide some back light. After several shots moving the flashgun around, I found that holding the gun (surprisingly just above to the right of the centre of the camera) seemed to work best. The first picture was intentionally taken cropped.

image
image
image
image

All taken at ISO 100 f16.0 1/25

The second set of pictures taken today were from a short project seen in a camera magazine that I wanted to try. And I had bought the bottle of glycerine a while back. What I can say is that was much more difficult than i first thought. Getting the right mix of water, washing up liquid and glycerine is half the fight. Secondly, ensuring that you get the film out of the bowl and it does not pop while you are setting up. Thirdly, trying to gently move the wire hanger to get the movement in the within film. Finally, I kept on changing the ISO to see the differing effect of noise on the pictures. The pictures obviously needed work in camera raw to bring out the colours, but in fact after post-processing, I am actually happy with the results… But at least I know what to expect for next time…

image

ISO 2000

image

ISO 400

image

ISO 800

ISO 800 – the last picture was just to show the wire hanger and the film. But you can clearly see much more noise in this picture.

image
Advertisements